The following is an excerpt from Soccer Awareness eBook 5: Attacking Combination Plays.
(6) Passes to (8) who has come off at an angle to receive, and gets the pass back. (9) Checks and receives a pass from (6).
(9) Then turns and moves infield with the ball and plays an angled pass to (10).
- Receiving the pass “side – on”.
- Timing and angle of the run from (10).
- Timing and pace of the pass from (9). Try to pass with the outside of the front foot for deception.
During any of these progressions you can include defenders if you feel it is more realistic, you can have them defending passively to begin just “getting in the way”.
Sometimes players can make their movements easier if there is a defender as a reference point.